Change in Text/Alert Sensor (beta)
Moderator: leecollings
- gizmocuz
- Posts: 3026
- Joined: Thursday 11 July 2013 18:59
- Target OS: Raspberry Pi / ODroid
- Domoticz version: beta
- Location: Top of the world
- Contact:
Change in Text/Alert Sensor (beta)
In beta 17823 I removed the text device 48x48 icon and added better support for HTML rendering.
The text contains of the above HTML is:
I think the Icon was not needed, a Alert sensor does support a icon.
The text contains of the above HTML is:
I think the Icon was not needed, a Alert sensor does support a icon.
Quality outlives Quantity!
-
janpep
- Posts: 321
- Joined: Thursday 14 March 2024 10:11
- Target OS: Linux
- Domoticz version: v2026.3
- Location: Netherlands
- Contact:
Re: Change in Text/Alert Sensor (beta
Indeed. Thank you. Looks very good.gizmocuz wrote: Monday 27 April 2026 11:01 I think the Icon was not needed, a Alert sensor does support a icon.
I already hide the icon for a long time with small CSS addition, because it only took place and had no additional value or meaning.
Dz on Ubuntu VM on Proxmox behind FRITZ!Box.
EvoHome; MELCloud; P1 meter; Z-Stick GEN5; Z-Wave-js-ui; Sonoff USB-Dongle Plus-E; Zigbee2Mqtt; MQTT; Greenwave powernodes 1+6; Fibaro switch, plugs, smoke; FRITZ!DECT 200. Scripts listed in profile interests.
EvoHome; MELCloud; P1 meter; Z-Stick GEN5; Z-Wave-js-ui; Sonoff USB-Dongle Plus-E; Zigbee2Mqtt; MQTT; Greenwave powernodes 1+6; Fibaro switch, plugs, smoke; FRITZ!DECT 200. Scripts listed in profile interests.
- RonkA
- Posts: 141
- Joined: Tuesday 14 June 2022 12:57
- Target OS: NAS (Synology & others)
- Domoticz version: 2025.1
- Location: Harlingen
- Contact:
Re: Change in Text/Alert Sensor (beta)
Excellent!! this is very welcome.
SolarEdge ModbusTCP - Kaku - Synology NAS - Watermeter - ESPEasy - DS18b20
Work in progress = Life in general..
Work in progress = Life in general..
-
janpep
- Posts: 321
- Joined: Thursday 14 March 2024 10:11
- Target OS: Linux
- Domoticz version: v2026.3
- Location: Netherlands
- Contact:
Re: Change in Text/Alert Sensor (beta)
OOPS...
Installed latest beta and realized, that I do have some custom icons for text devices with a meaning based on content.
I completely agree that the standard text icon adds nothing.
But for example, for rain information based on the forecast, I use an icon with rain or (by script) switch automatically to one without rain.
In the end, it would be most flexible if you could turn it on/off per device.
I also noticed that line breaks have disappeared in some devices. I need to look into that further.
Installed latest beta and realized, that I do have some custom icons for text devices with a meaning based on content.
I completely agree that the standard text icon adds nothing.
But for example, for rain information based on the forecast, I use an icon with rain or (by script) switch automatically to one without rain.
In the end, it would be most flexible if you could turn it on/off per device.
I also noticed that line breaks have disappeared in some devices. I need to look into that further.
Dz on Ubuntu VM on Proxmox behind FRITZ!Box.
EvoHome; MELCloud; P1 meter; Z-Stick GEN5; Z-Wave-js-ui; Sonoff USB-Dongle Plus-E; Zigbee2Mqtt; MQTT; Greenwave powernodes 1+6; Fibaro switch, plugs, smoke; FRITZ!DECT 200. Scripts listed in profile interests.
EvoHome; MELCloud; P1 meter; Z-Stick GEN5; Z-Wave-js-ui; Sonoff USB-Dongle Plus-E; Zigbee2Mqtt; MQTT; Greenwave powernodes 1+6; Fibaro switch, plugs, smoke; FRITZ!DECT 200. Scripts listed in profile interests.
-
janpep
- Posts: 321
- Joined: Thursday 14 March 2024 10:11
- Target OS: Linux
- Domoticz version: v2026.3
- Location: Netherlands
- Contact:
Re: Change in Text/Alert Sensor (beta)
Found out that I used \n in several places. Replaced now by <br>janpep wrote: Wednesday 29 April 2026 12:30 I also noticed that line breaks have disappeared in some devices. I need to look into that further.
Dz on Ubuntu VM on Proxmox behind FRITZ!Box.
EvoHome; MELCloud; P1 meter; Z-Stick GEN5; Z-Wave-js-ui; Sonoff USB-Dongle Plus-E; Zigbee2Mqtt; MQTT; Greenwave powernodes 1+6; Fibaro switch, plugs, smoke; FRITZ!DECT 200. Scripts listed in profile interests.
EvoHome; MELCloud; P1 meter; Z-Stick GEN5; Z-Wave-js-ui; Sonoff USB-Dongle Plus-E; Zigbee2Mqtt; MQTT; Greenwave powernodes 1+6; Fibaro switch, plugs, smoke; FRITZ!DECT 200. Scripts listed in profile interests.
- gizmocuz
- Posts: 3026
- Joined: Thursday 11 July 2013 18:59
- Target OS: Raspberry Pi / ODroid
- Domoticz version: beta
- Location: Top of the world
- Contact:
Re: Change in Text/Alert Sensor (beta)
@janpep, is a alert sensor not what you want? This has an icon
Quality outlives Quantity!
-
janpep
- Posts: 321
- Joined: Thursday 14 March 2024 10:11
- Target OS: Linux
- Domoticz version: v2026.3
- Location: Netherlands
- Contact:
Re: Change in Text/Alert Sensor (beta)
I have a few devices with no meaning for alerting, but where the icon does have a meaning, give additional information or faster recognition between the other devices.gizmocuz wrote: Wednesday 29 April 2026 20:08 @janpep, is a alert sensor not what you want? This has an icon
e.g. I have one for the waste calendar with a rotating icon for a brown, blue, or green trash can. I have one for text device with Rain or No rain and another with other symbols for the weather forecast. Also on the Dashboard tab the icon of the text device gives the oppertunity to go directoy to the log.
So, although I initially thought it was a good idea, my enthusiasm is waning a bit. When it is purely and simply the standard text icon, I think it is not needed.
May be the fastest is to only remove when it is the standard icon as I did?
For the other text devices, where I have replaced it with a custom icon, I believe it serves a purpose and I would like to keep it/get it back.
More work, but as stated, if EVERY device had the Icon on/off option, you would be most flexible. Then users could decide for themselves. Some will find the usefulness of a counter that is always fixed redundant, while others might want to keep it for recognition purposes.
Dz on Ubuntu VM on Proxmox behind FRITZ!Box.
EvoHome; MELCloud; P1 meter; Z-Stick GEN5; Z-Wave-js-ui; Sonoff USB-Dongle Plus-E; Zigbee2Mqtt; MQTT; Greenwave powernodes 1+6; Fibaro switch, plugs, smoke; FRITZ!DECT 200. Scripts listed in profile interests.
EvoHome; MELCloud; P1 meter; Z-Stick GEN5; Z-Wave-js-ui; Sonoff USB-Dongle Plus-E; Zigbee2Mqtt; MQTT; Greenwave powernodes 1+6; Fibaro switch, plugs, smoke; FRITZ!DECT 200. Scripts listed in profile interests.
-
Gingerpale
- Posts: 53
- Joined: Wednesday 13 January 2016 16:11
- Target OS: Raspberry Pi / ODroid
- Domoticz version: 2026.1
- Contact:
Re: Change in Text/Alert Sensor (beta)
I have similar issue like Janpep: How to handle text sensors with a custom icon which do serve a purpose for me?
How can I get it back? Can I use the new html style for that? If yes, how?
Currently it looks weird that if custom icon 48x48 is removed, I still can select one which doesn't show. That doesn't seem consistent, unless I miss something else?
In any way, the text sensor with enriched html looks really cool.
How can I get it back? Can I use the new html style for that? If yes, how?
Currently it looks weird that if custom icon 48x48 is removed, I still can select one which doesn't show. That doesn't seem consistent, unless I miss something else?
In any way, the text sensor with enriched html looks really cool.
Rpi4B,RFX433e,PiFace2, LCD, Hue bridge, Alexa (+TTS), HA-Bridge, Sonoff NSPanel, Sonoff RF (+IR) bridge, Nefit CV, Tasmota/MQTT, Enphase Solar, Smartmeter, Alarm I/F, H13726B Weather Station, CM180 Energy meter, Sonoff, KaKu, Tuya, Gledopto, AriLux,...
-
claude2666
- Posts: 19
- Joined: Wednesday 01 August 2018 14:50
- Target OS: Raspberry Pi / ODroid
- Domoticz version:
- Contact:
Re: Change in Text/Alert Sensor (beta)
HI,
In the latest betas (17920), for a text widget, no icon is displayed. Mine are all set to default icons. And even if I select a specific Icon, it is not displayed. This happens both in the utility tab and the new dynamic dashboard. And this for all my text sensors, with default or custom icon
With default icon:
And with specific icon has the same result, no icon in the widget. see first screenshot
In the latest betas (17920), for a text widget, no icon is displayed. Mine are all set to default icons. And even if I select a specific Icon, it is not displayed. This happens both in the utility tab and the new dynamic dashboard. And this for all my text sensors, with default or custom icon
With default icon:
And with specific icon has the same result, no icon in the widget. see first screenshot
- Attachments
-
- Soil3.png (44.61 KiB) Viewed 39377 times
-
janpep
- Posts: 321
- Joined: Thursday 14 March 2024 10:11
- Target OS: Linux
- Domoticz version: v2026.3
- Location: Netherlands
- Contact:
Re: Change in Text/Alert Sensor (beta)
I would like to hear what the plan is or will be, so that I am not waiting for something that might never come back.
If the policy is or becomes that the icon disappears entirely, I am certainly not happy with that. I will have to come up with a solution for that, e.g. by using Alert device (even where there is no alert and text is more appropriate). Than it is just for being able to show (and change) the icon with a text.
I would prefer to see the icon remains visible at least when an icon other than the 'Default' has been chosen, or that there is a choice for the user in some other way. After all, if someone has chosen a different icon, there is certainly a reason for it. A sufficient reason not to simply remove it.
Perhaps a 'NO-ICON' option in the icon selection list can give users an easy and flexible way to select an icon of their choice OR to remove the icon for that device. Then it can be used consistently throughout the entire system and is not necessarily limited to text devices.
If the policy is or becomes that the icon disappears entirely, I am certainly not happy with that. I will have to come up with a solution for that, e.g. by using Alert device (even where there is no alert and text is more appropriate). Than it is just for being able to show (and change) the icon with a text.
I would prefer to see the icon remains visible at least when an icon other than the 'Default' has been chosen, or that there is a choice for the user in some other way. After all, if someone has chosen a different icon, there is certainly a reason for it. A sufficient reason not to simply remove it.
Perhaps a 'NO-ICON' option in the icon selection list can give users an easy and flexible way to select an icon of their choice OR to remove the icon for that device. Then it can be used consistently throughout the entire system and is not necessarily limited to text devices.
Dz on Ubuntu VM on Proxmox behind FRITZ!Box.
EvoHome; MELCloud; P1 meter; Z-Stick GEN5; Z-Wave-js-ui; Sonoff USB-Dongle Plus-E; Zigbee2Mqtt; MQTT; Greenwave powernodes 1+6; Fibaro switch, plugs, smoke; FRITZ!DECT 200. Scripts listed in profile interests.
EvoHome; MELCloud; P1 meter; Z-Stick GEN5; Z-Wave-js-ui; Sonoff USB-Dongle Plus-E; Zigbee2Mqtt; MQTT; Greenwave powernodes 1+6; Fibaro switch, plugs, smoke; FRITZ!DECT 200. Scripts listed in profile interests.
- gizmocuz
- Posts: 3026
- Joined: Thursday 11 July 2013 18:59
- Target OS: Raspberry Pi / ODroid
- Domoticz version: beta
- Location: Top of the world
- Contact:
Re: Change in Text/Alert Sensor (beta)
I will look at into the no icon option.
Quality outlives Quantity!
-
janpep
- Posts: 321
- Joined: Thursday 14 March 2024 10:11
- Target OS: Linux
- Domoticz version: v2026.3
- Location: Netherlands
- Contact:
Re: Change in Text/Alert Sensor (beta)
I think that would be great. Flexible yet consistent.
Dz on Ubuntu VM on Proxmox behind FRITZ!Box.
EvoHome; MELCloud; P1 meter; Z-Stick GEN5; Z-Wave-js-ui; Sonoff USB-Dongle Plus-E; Zigbee2Mqtt; MQTT; Greenwave powernodes 1+6; Fibaro switch, plugs, smoke; FRITZ!DECT 200. Scripts listed in profile interests.
EvoHome; MELCloud; P1 meter; Z-Stick GEN5; Z-Wave-js-ui; Sonoff USB-Dongle Plus-E; Zigbee2Mqtt; MQTT; Greenwave powernodes 1+6; Fibaro switch, plugs, smoke; FRITZ!DECT 200. Scripts listed in profile interests.
-
sebitop
- Posts: 79
- Joined: Sunday 08 June 2014 20:31
- Target OS: Raspberry Pi / ODroid
- Domoticz version:
- Location: Toulouse France
- Contact:
Re: Change in Text/Alert Sensor (beta)
Hi Gizmo and everyone,
I’m experiencing the same issue.
Certain text devices are much more intuitive with an icon; for instance, I use a text box to track remaining 'color days' for my French electricity provider.
Removing icons across all text devices makes the dashboard feel less visual and harder to read at a glance.
Giving users a 'no icon' toggle while keeping the option to use one is the perfect middle ground.
Thanks!
seb
I’m experiencing the same issue.
Certain text devices are much more intuitive with an icon; for instance, I use a text box to track remaining 'color days' for my French electricity provider.
Removing icons across all text devices makes the dashboard feel less visual and harder to read at a glance.
Giving users a 'no icon' toggle while keeping the option to use one is the perfect middle ground.
Thanks!
seb
domoticz on Raspberry Pi + RFXcom LAN moded
Blyss / DI.O / ESP / Arduino
Blyss / DI.O / ESP / Arduino
- gizmocuz
- Posts: 3026
- Joined: Thursday 11 July 2013 18:59
- Target OS: Raspberry Pi / ODroid
- Domoticz version: beta
- Location: Top of the world
- Contact:
Re: Change in Text/Alert Sensor (beta)
Changed in beta 17921
Default icon is visible, but you can edit the text device and specify to hide the icon
Default icon is visible, but you can edit the text device and specify to hide the icon
Quality outlives Quantity!
-
Gingerpale
- Posts: 53
- Joined: Wednesday 13 January 2016 16:11
- Target OS: Raspberry Pi / ODroid
- Domoticz version: 2026.1
- Contact:
Re: Change in Text/Alert Sensor (beta)
I've just tried latest beta and I can confirm it works. Many thanks for fixing it again!
Rpi4B,RFX433e,PiFace2, LCD, Hue bridge, Alexa (+TTS), HA-Bridge, Sonoff NSPanel, Sonoff RF (+IR) bridge, Nefit CV, Tasmota/MQTT, Enphase Solar, Smartmeter, Alarm I/F, H13726B Weather Station, CM180 Energy meter, Sonoff, KaKu, Tuya, Gledopto, AriLux,...
-
janpep
- Posts: 321
- Joined: Thursday 14 March 2024 10:11
- Target OS: Linux
- Domoticz version: v2026.3
- Location: Netherlands
- Contact:
Re: Change in Text/Alert Sensor (beta)
Tested. Very nice solution to be able to turn it off for a few, but not for all text devices. Thanks again!gizmocuz wrote: Monday 04 May 2026 7:33 Default icon is visible, but you can edit the text device and specify to hide the icon
Dz on Ubuntu VM on Proxmox behind FRITZ!Box.
EvoHome; MELCloud; P1 meter; Z-Stick GEN5; Z-Wave-js-ui; Sonoff USB-Dongle Plus-E; Zigbee2Mqtt; MQTT; Greenwave powernodes 1+6; Fibaro switch, plugs, smoke; FRITZ!DECT 200. Scripts listed in profile interests.
EvoHome; MELCloud; P1 meter; Z-Stick GEN5; Z-Wave-js-ui; Sonoff USB-Dongle Plus-E; Zigbee2Mqtt; MQTT; Greenwave powernodes 1+6; Fibaro switch, plugs, smoke; FRITZ!DECT 200. Scripts listed in profile interests.