Honeywell thermostat has a mysterious temporary 1,5 degrees jump

For heating/cooling related questions in Domoticz

Moderator: leecollings

Post Reply
Tuinfluiter
Posts: 32
Joined: Thursday 18 January 2024 21:09
Target OS: Raspberry Pi / ODroid
Domoticz version: 2026.3
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Honeywell thermostat has a mysterious temporary 1,5 degrees jump

Post by Tuinfluiter »

I have a central heating boiler (boiler + heater) with thermostat Honeywell Chronotherm Modulation (I think the type is T8851M1000). It uses Opentherm communication and since a year I have an Opentherm Gateway (OTGW) in the connection, communicating with Domoticz 2024.7 via the "Openterm Gateway LAN interface".
Until recently (10-4-2026) the boiler was a Bosch 35 HRC.

On april 3rd I noticed a jump of roughy 1,5 degrees upwards of the temperature in the temperature readout in Domoticz. Next day, all of sudden it jumped back, roughly the same 1,5 degrees. See attached screenshots. All this time the temperature on the display of the thermostat is in agreement with the observed temperature in Domoticz. Also is it the temperature that is actually used to control the boiler to start heating, so it's not just "a display value" thing. I think I have seen this behaviour previously as well, but never bothered about it.

On the 10th of april the boiler was replaced with a Intergas Xtreme 30. The same thermostat is used, but at first I didn't connect the OTGW, because I wanted to make sure the installation was done and tested correctly. I had the impression that directly this same phenomenon was present, but I didn't have the Domoticz readout. After two days I connected the OTGW and I directly observed this phenomenon again, now also in Domoticz. I didn't see the jump upwards, but compared with other temperature sensors I have, I figured this must be the case. This was confirmed the next day when it made the 1,5 jump down.

So of course my questions:
Is this a phenomenon that anyone observed as well?
Who is the cullprit?
Boiler? No, because observed on two quite different boilers.
OTGW / Domoticz? No, also observed without OTGW hooked up
The thermostat then?
Any thoughts on how this can happen? Does it happen to do some sort of calibration that goes wrong, and it is being repeated at regular intervals (e.g. once a day?)
Is it just "broken down"?
Any suggestion are welcome.
First jump upwards
First jump upwards
jump1.jpg (73.25 KiB) Viewed 145022 times
Second jump downwards
Second jump downwards
jump2.jpg (71.17 KiB) Viewed 145022 times
Domoticz running on Pi4
RFXcom, Zwave2MQTT, Zigbee (Z4D), P1, Tado X
Post Reply