New Python plugin: Domoticz SolarEdge_ModbusTCP
Moderator: leecollings
- madpatrick
- Posts: 885
- Joined: Monday 26 December 2016 12:17
- Target OS: Linux
- Domoticz version: 2026.1
- Location: Netherlands
- Contact:
Re: New Python plugin: Domoticz SolarEdge_ModbusTCP
---- removed ----
Last edited by madpatrick on Sunday 21 June 2026 16:05, edited 1 time in total.
-= HP server GEN11 =- ZwaveJS-=- Domoticz v2026.2 -=- Dashticz =-
-= Checkout https://github.com/MadPatrick for the plugins =-
-= Checkout https://github.com/MadPatrick for the plugins =-
- madpatrick
- Posts: 885
- Joined: Monday 26 December 2016 12:17
- Target OS: Linux
- Domoticz version: 2026.1
- Location: Netherlands
- Contact:
Re: New Python plugin: Domoticz SolarEdge_ModbusTCP
---- removed ----
Last edited by madpatrick on Sunday 21 June 2026 16:06, edited 1 time in total.
-= HP server GEN11 =- ZwaveJS-=- Domoticz v2026.2 -=- Dashticz =-
-= Checkout https://github.com/MadPatrick for the plugins =-
-= Checkout https://github.com/MadPatrick for the plugins =-
- jvdz
- Posts: 2476
- Joined: Tuesday 30 December 2014 19:25
- Target OS: Raspberry Pi / ODroid
- Domoticz version: 4.107
- Location: Netherlands
- Contact:
Re: New Python plugin: Domoticz SolarEdge_ModbusTCP
I am totally lost here ... how exactly is this better?madpatrick wrote: Sunday 21 June 2026 10:14Check this repo.imautohuttraeger wrote: Sunday 21 June 2026 9:08 A while ago, @jvdz made a fork due to the fact, that the owner of this plugin does not seem to actively work on this anymore:
viewtopic.php?t=43707
Besides other things, this fork also includes pure data from the battery (rather than a combined number solar + battery charging or discharging)
Is there any chance to get this also I to the basic plugin?
https://github.com/MadPatrick/Solaredge_modbustcp
It side repo so it will not interfere the original repo
I've included the meters and inverter also
I also intended to maintain my forks and the extra branch which allows for better support for "dimming" the production and batteries, but I can simply create a PR for Addie's version whenever he becomes active! I have worked with a few people on improvements, and then it all went silent.
So why create another separate version?
- madpatrick
- Posts: 885
- Joined: Monday 26 December 2016 12:17
- Target OS: Linux
- Domoticz version: 2026.1
- Location: Netherlands
- Contact:
Re: New Python plugin: Domoticz SolarEdge_ModbusTCP
No offense to Addie's plugin and if you read carefully i'm also saying this.
Also it is not a new or another separate version, but an adjusted version for where i issued a PR
Only becauce there was no maintance over the last years i assumed my PR will not be issues in a reasonable time
For that reason i offered my Git location for the people who are interested in the adjested version
But... no worries. i've removed my previous posts and people can still use the old original plugin.
Next time when i update an old unmaintained plugin i'll keep it private
Also it is not a new or another separate version, but an adjusted version for where i issued a PR
Only becauce there was no maintance over the last years i assumed my PR will not be issues in a reasonable time
For that reason i offered my Git location for the people who are interested in the adjested version
But... no worries. i've removed my previous posts and people can still use the old original plugin.
Next time when i update an old unmaintained plugin i'll keep it private
-= HP server GEN11 =- ZwaveJS-=- Domoticz v2026.2 -=- Dashticz =-
-= Checkout https://github.com/MadPatrick for the plugins =-
-= Checkout https://github.com/MadPatrick for the plugins =-
-
MikeyMan
- Posts: 242
- Joined: Wednesday 17 October 2018 12:11
- Target OS: Raspberry Pi / ODroid
- Domoticz version:
- Contact:
Re: New Python plugin: Domoticz SolarEdge_ModbusTCP
The joys of open source.
Keep it cool guys, you're all doing your best. Much appreciated.
Hope we can find a way to get into regular maintenance.
Keep it cool guys, you're all doing your best. Much appreciated.
Hope we can find a way to get into regular maintenance.
-
jannl
- Posts: 870
- Joined: Thursday 02 October 2014 6:36
- Target OS: Raspberry Pi / ODroid
- Domoticz version: 2026.1.x
- Location: Geleen
- Contact:
Re: New Python plugin: Domoticz SolarEdge_ModbusTCP
I obviously missed some (?) discussion, resulting in Madpatricks repository not being usable anymore? The readme is empty.
Besides that I noticed the modbus library it depends (nmakel/solaredge_modbus) on is archived, in github not sure if this is going to be a problem in the future.
For now I will stick to Addieś 2.04 beta version
Besides that I noticed the modbus library it depends (nmakel/solaredge_modbus) on is archived, in github not sure if this is going to be a problem in the future.
For now I will stick to Addieś 2.04 beta version
- imautohuttraeger
- Posts: 403
- Joined: Saturday 14 March 2020 13:40
- Target OS: Raspberry Pi / ODroid
- Domoticz version: latest
- Location: Germany
- Contact:
Re: New Python plugin: Domoticz SolarEdge_ModbusTCP
Sigh!
As a simple user I am absolutely dependent on the - very much appreciated - work of guys who know their stuff. Please don't work against each other.
As a simple user I am absolutely dependent on the - very much appreciated - work of guys who know their stuff. Please don't work against each other.
Stop, look and listen.
-
jannl
- Posts: 870
- Joined: Thursday 02 October 2014 6:36
- Target OS: Raspberry Pi / ODroid
- Domoticz version: 2026.1.x
- Location: Geleen
- Contact:
Re: New Python plugin: Domoticz SolarEdge_ModbusTCP
If you have a simple Solaredge setup (just solar panels), I would stick to Addieś plugin as described on the wiki (and propably in the first post of this thread).
If on the otherhand you use a battery and therefor also a meter, you better use the 2.04 version which you can download a a zip from Addie's tags part on github.
Not sure what happened here today.
If on the otherhand you use a battery and therefor also a meter, you better use the 2.04 version which you can download a a zip from Addie's tags part on github.
Not sure what happened here today.
- imautohuttraeger
- Posts: 403
- Joined: Saturday 14 March 2020 13:40
- Target OS: Raspberry Pi / ODroid
- Domoticz version: latest
- Location: Germany
- Contact:
Re: New Python plugin: Domoticz SolarEdge_ModbusTCP
Ah - thanks! Indeed I have a setup including a batterie.jannl wrote: Sunday 21 June 2026 17:10 If you have a simple Solaredge setup (just solar panels), I would stick to Addieś plugin as described on the wiki (and propably in the first post of this thread).
If on the otherhand you use a battery and therefor also a meter, you better use the 2.04 version which you can download a a zip from Addie's tags part on github.
Not sure what happened here today.
Stop, look and listen.
- imautohuttraeger
- Posts: 403
- Joined: Saturday 14 March 2020 13:40
- Target OS: Raspberry Pi / ODroid
- Domoticz version: latest
- Location: Germany
- Contact:
Re: New Python plugin: Domoticz SolarEdge_ModbusTCP
I had this running a while ago on bullseye, but after the new domoticz release 2026 required a higher release, I had setup my Raspi from scratch using Trixie. But now the step-by-step instructions don't work anymore, as it now needs a phyton virtual environment (venv) for installation. Somehow I have even managed to install solaredge_modbus that way (don't ask me for details on how - it is too sophisticated for me). But in Domoticz, I get these errors:
AI (Claude) tells me, that I either have to "break-system-packages" or that Domoticz should use the venv. I don't want to mess it all up, so I have stopped and hope that someone can give me an advice about how to further proceed.
Code: Select all
2026-06-23 12:48:47.775 Error: SolarEdge ModbusTCP 20260621: (SolarEdge_ModbusTCP) failed to load 'plugin.py'.
2026-06-23 12:48:47.777 Error: SolarEdge ModbusTCP 20260621: Traceback (most recent call last):
2026-06-23 12:48:47.777 Error: SolarEdge ModbusTCP 20260621: File "/home/pi/domoticz/plugins/Solaredge_modbustcp/plugin.py", line 68, in <module>
2026-06-23 12:48:47.777 Error: SolarEdge ModbusTCP 20260621: import solaredge_modbus
2026-06-23 12:48:47.777 Error: SolarEdge ModbusTCP 20260621: ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'solaredge_modbus'
Stop, look and listen.
-
AddieJanssen
- Posts: 51
- Joined: Sunday 27 September 2020 16:17
- Target OS: -
- Domoticz version:
- Contact:
Re: New Python plugin: Domoticz SolarEdge_ModbusTCP
Hi all,
I created this plugin almost six years ago, and for most of that time it has just worked for me. Over the years, people have asked for things like meter and battery support. That code is already in a separate GitHub branch, but I never got around to moving it into the main release.
In the meantime, Python and the packages used by the plugin have moved on. Because of that, some people may now run into installation or compatibility issues that were not there before.
The plugin depends on the solaredge_modbus package (https://github.com/nmakel/solaredge_modbus), which was archived by its developer earlier this year. That means it will not receive updates anymore.
So this feels like a good moment to look at what should happen with this plugin. If this plugin is still useful to people, it probably needs a more serious update. I would like to reduce the dependency on third-party packages where possible, move the meter and battery support into the main version, and improve the error handling and general maintainability.
I am willing to start working on that, but I need input and help from the community:
Thanks in advance for any feedback, and thanks to everyone who has used, tested, or contributed to the plugin so far.
Regards,
Addie Janssen
I created this plugin almost six years ago, and for most of that time it has just worked for me. Over the years, people have asked for things like meter and battery support. That code is already in a separate GitHub branch, but I never got around to moving it into the main release.
In the meantime, Python and the packages used by the plugin have moved on. Because of that, some people may now run into installation or compatibility issues that were not there before.
The plugin depends on the solaredge_modbus package (https://github.com/nmakel/solaredge_modbus), which was archived by its developer earlier this year. That means it will not receive updates anymore.
So this feels like a good moment to look at what should happen with this plugin. If this plugin is still useful to people, it probably needs a more serious update. I would like to reduce the dependency on third-party packages where possible, move the meter and battery support into the main version, and improve the error handling and general maintainability.
I am willing to start working on that, but I need input and help from the community:
- Is this plugin still being used? I do not have any usage statistics, so it would be good to know if there is enough interest to make this worth the effort.
- Who can help with testing and debugging? There are many different hardware and software combinations, and I cannot test them all myself. I am especially looking for people who can help test the plugin and report issues clearly.
- Who can help support other users? Some people run into installation or usage questions. It would be great if a few community members could help answer those questions when they come up.
Thanks in advance for any feedback, and thanks to everyone who has used, tested, or contributed to the plugin so far.
Regards,
Addie Janssen
-
eddieb
- Posts: 430
- Joined: Wednesday 04 July 2018 7:48
- Target OS: Raspberry Pi / ODroid
- Domoticz version: Beta
- Location: Netherlands
- Contact:
Re: New Python plugin: Domoticz SolarEdge_ModbusTCP
I am still using solaredge_modbustcp to monitor my solaredge ...
RPI4 Beta / Tasmota / ZigBee2MQTT / P1meter / Haier AC MQTTmapper / SolarEdge SE3500H modbus_tcp / IndeVolt SF3000 / Opentherm gateway / Plugwise Anna/Smile / ObserverIP weatherstation thru WuDirect
Feeding ADSB https://adsb.im/home
Feeding ADSB https://adsb.im/home
- Sjonnie2017
- Posts: 377
- Joined: Wednesday 02 August 2017 19:43
- Target OS: Linux
- Domoticz version: Latest ß
- Location: The Netherlands
- Contact:
Re: New Python plugin: Domoticz SolarEdge_ModbusTCP
Still using your plug-in but unable to support you with coding or otherwise. I do, however, can help with debugging/testing a new verson of the plug-in although I am a bit hesitant due to history 
ConBee II - TRÅDFRI lights + switches, loads of ChingLing dimmers and switches, Heiman and Xiaomi sensors
SolarEdge SE4000H (with active modbus_tcp)
YouLess Energy meter
Shelly 2.5 in roller shutter mode
SolarEdge SE4000H (with active modbus_tcp)
YouLess Energy meter
Shelly 2.5 in roller shutter mode
- imautohuttraeger
- Posts: 403
- Joined: Saturday 14 March 2020 13:40
- Target OS: Raspberry Pi / ODroid
- Domoticz version: latest
- Location: Germany
- Contact:
Re: New Python plugin: Domoticz SolarEdge_ModbusTCP
Great to read your post!
I am also using this (highly appreciated ) plugin and even the "meters" branch (named as pre-release for Version 2) is working almost stable.
This especially enabled me to get all data (including the batterie) into the energy dashboard page and the widget for the new dynamic dashboard
I really would love to help with testing, debugging, and user support. But as I am a non-coding-guy, I can only do it from a user's perspective.
Stop, look and listen.
-
jannl
- Posts: 870
- Joined: Thursday 02 October 2014 6:36
- Target OS: Raspberry Pi / ODroid
- Domoticz version: 2026.1.x
- Location: Geleen
- Contact:
Re: New Python plugin: Domoticz SolarEdge_ModbusTCP
I am also still using the plugin, the branch with the meter and battery support
-
hjzwiers
- Posts: 326
- Joined: Friday 12 January 2018 8:26
- Target OS: Raspberry Pi / ODroid
- Domoticz version:
- Contact:
Re: New Python plugin: Domoticz SolarEdge_ModbusTCP
@AddieJanssen,
I've used the extended version of Jos van der Zande , it works with solaredge, meters and batteries. I control the batteries and the charging directly and i must say it works fine, please contact Jos before you make any additions, see github! https://github.com/jvanderzande
greetings,
Henk Jan Zwiers
EDIT Jvdz: I removed my visible email
I've used the extended version of Jos van der Zande , it works with solaredge, meters and batteries. I control the batteries and the charging directly and i must say it works fine, please contact Jos before you make any additions, see github! https://github.com/jvanderzande
greetings,
Henk Jan Zwiers
EDIT Jvdz: I removed my visible email
- jvdz
- Posts: 2476
- Joined: Tuesday 30 December 2014 19:25
- Target OS: Raspberry Pi / ODroid
- Domoticz version: 4.107
- Location: Netherlands
- Contact:
Re: New Python plugin: Domoticz SolarEdge_ModbusTCP
@AddieJanssen,
I have made several changes to your codebase and never bothered to make PR's as I (wrongly) had the impression you checked-out on this particular project.
My own interests were these 2 items (short version):
1. Be able to change the level of "Active power" from Domoticz with a Dimmer device. (Active in my master)
2. Add optional sync with an P1 device, so the SE device updates more-or-less happens at the same time as the P1 device. This is purely cosmetics for the Energy dashboard and nothing more.
This thread shows the whole story and many of the other changes made in the other branches.
Feel free to use what you want to update your github, and let me know when you like a PR for any of the first 2 listed functions.
As to the other branches, I guess I went a little overboard with changes there as I was (wrongly) under the assumption you abandoned this particular project, so pick and choose whatever logic you want to implement too as your current version had some issues for several folks and i tried to support them, but am not in a position to test any myself.
I have made several changes to your codebase and never bothered to make PR's as I (wrongly) had the impression you checked-out on this particular project.
My own interests were these 2 items (short version):
1. Be able to change the level of "Active power" from Domoticz with a Dimmer device. (Active in my master)
2. Add optional sync with an P1 device, so the SE device updates more-or-less happens at the same time as the P1 device. This is purely cosmetics for the Energy dashboard and nothing more.
This thread shows the whole story and many of the other changes made in the other branches.
Feel free to use what you want to update your github, and let me know when you like a PR for any of the first 2 listed functions.
As to the other branches, I guess I went a little overboard with changes there as I was (wrongly) under the assumption you abandoned this particular project, so pick and choose whatever logic you want to implement too as your current version had some issues for several folks and i tried to support them, but am not in a position to test any myself.
- RonkA
- Posts: 141
- Joined: Tuesday 14 June 2022 12:57
- Target OS: NAS (Synology & others)
- Domoticz version: 2025.1
- Location: Harlingen
- Contact:
Re: New Python plugin: Domoticz SolarEdge_ModbusTCP
Ditto.. using the plugin every 10 seconds for years now..eddieb wrote: Sunday 23 August 2026 17:30 I am still using solaredge_modbustcp to monitor my solaredge ...
SolarEdge ModbusTCP - Kaku - Synology NAS - Watermeter - ESPEasy - DS18b20
Work in progress = Life in general..
Work in progress = Life in general..
- JayDotR
- Posts: 41
- Joined: Thursday 02 January 2025 21:15
- Target OS: Raspberry Pi / ODroid
- Domoticz version: beta
- Location: Lux
- Contact:
Re: New Python plugin: Domoticz SolarEdge_ModbusTCP
Hi AddieJanssen,
I'm using the plugin since I got my Solar Installation in 2019 and my Raspberry on the P1 Meters in 2020 (at least Corona had one benefit, to get myself to domoticz ^^). When installing my Battery + Battery WR + Meter, I switched to the meters branch.
It survived the migration from raspbian on debian10 with python2.7, to debian bookworm 11 with python 3.9 and now it's still running on trixie 13.0 with python 3.13 on raspberry and inside dockers on synology
For the Modbus, I'm running modbus-proxy 0.6.8 as relay between the SolarEdge and domoticz instances
and running fine
Beta-Tester JayDotR
I'm using the plugin since I got my Solar Installation in 2019 and my Raspberry on the P1 Meters in 2020 (at least Corona had one benefit, to get myself to domoticz ^^). When installing my Battery + Battery WR + Meter, I switched to the meters branch.
It survived the migration from raspbian on debian10 with python2.7, to debian bookworm 11 with python 3.9 and now it's still running on trixie 13.0 with python 3.13 on raspberry and inside dockers on synology
Code: Select all
pi@enerystation:/srv/domoticz/plugins $ pip3 list | grep modbus
pymodbus 3.6.8
solaredge-modbus 0.8.0
and running fine
Beta-Tester JayDotR
AddieJanssen wrote: Sunday 23 August 2026 17:10 Hi all,
I created this plugin almost six years ago, and for most of that time it has just worked for me. Over the years, people have asked for things like meter and battery support. That code is already in a separate GitHub branch, but I never got around to moving it into the main release.
In the meantime, Python and the packages used by the plugin have moved on. Because of that, some people may now run into installation or compatibility issues that were not there before.
The plugin depends on the solaredge_modbus package (https://github.com/nmakel/solaredge_modbus), which was archived by its developer earlier this year. That means it will not receive updates anymore.
So this feels like a good moment to look at what should happen with this plugin. If this plugin is still useful to people, it probably needs a more serious update. I would like to reduce the dependency on third-party packages where possible, move the meter and battery support into the main version, and improve the error handling and general maintainability.
I am willing to start working on that, but I need input and help from the community:
- Is this plugin still being used? I do not have any usage statistics, so it would be good to know if there is enough interest to make this worth the effort.
- Who can help with testing and debugging? There are many different hardware and software combinations, and I cannot test them all myself. I am especially looking for people who can help test the plugin and report issues clearly.
What do you think? Is this plugin still useful enough to justify a bigger update, and are there people willing to help with testing, debugging, or user support?
- Who can help support other users? Some people run into installation or usage questions. It would be great if a few community members could help answer those questions when they come up.
Thanks in advance for any feedback, and thanks to everyone who has used, tested, or contributed to the plugin so far.
Regards,
Addie Janssen
--
Domoticz Beta on raspberry3b, and raspberry4(b) on Rasbian Trixie / Python 3.13 / 64 bit
Using: PiHole, SolarEdge Modbus, Sainlogic / Weather Underground, MQTT, Fritzbox, P1 Meter(s), dzvents Scripting
https://www.github.com/janreimen/
Domoticz Beta on raspberry3b, and raspberry4(b) on Rasbian Trixie / Python 3.13 / 64 bit
Using: PiHole, SolarEdge Modbus, Sainlogic / Weather Underground, MQTT, Fritzbox, P1 Meter(s), dzvents Scripting
https://www.github.com/janreimen/
-
hjzwiers
- Posts: 326
- Joined: Friday 12 January 2018 8:26
- Target OS: Raspberry Pi / ODroid
- Domoticz version:
- Contact:
Re: New Python plugin: Domoticz SolarEdge_ModbusTCP
What are you planning to do, I did a lot of testing with jvdz, and i'm willing to be a tester for any new functionality, just let me know!