Page 1 of 1
Blockly update possible?
Posted: Wednesday 03 June 2026 10:42
by hyeronimo
Hi all,
Added a more complete Blockly would be a great way to make Domoticz attractive to a larger user base.
Blockly is an open source project on github:
https://github.com/RaspberryPiFoundation/blockly and has had many more functions in later versions. As this seems to be a rather self contained system it seems that these added functions could be integrated in domoticz in the same way as the current Blockly version. The main thing would be that the interface to the domoticz system (devices) would remain unchanged. Or am I overly optimistic here?
Re: Blockly update possible?
Posted: Sunday 14 June 2026 8:21
by domovincent
Interesting idea. Which specific improvements from newer Blockly versions are you looking for?
* More advanced logic/control blocks?
* Better variables and functions?
* Custom blocks/plugins?
* Improved UI/accessibility?
Understanding the desired benefits would help assess whether the upgrade effort is justified and what value it would bring to Domoticz users.
Re: Blockly update possible?
Posted: Friday 10 July 2026 8:28
by pfloryann
would be very useful especially for more advanced logic/control blocks allowing for a wider range of conditions in blockly thus being able to create more complex automations without using code.
Re: Blockly update possible?
Posted: Friday 10 July 2026 9:00
by waltervl
You are aware there is a dzvents wizard now? So no need to program directly with dzvents. The blockly integrations has always been difficult to update/enhance. Even a simple mathmatics enhancement is not possible.
viewtopic.php?t=44611
Re: Blockly update possible?
Posted: Friday 10 July 2026 10:33
by imautohuttraeger
waltervl wrote: Friday 10 July 2026 9:00
You are aware there is a dzvents wizard now? So no need to program directly with dzvents. The blockly integrations has always been difficult to update/enhance. Even a simple mathmatics enhancement is not possible.
viewtopic.php?t=44611
I agree, but although the wizard guides you through the initial creation of a dzvents script, you later have to dive deep into understanding the syntax if you want to make amendments.
And even if you’ve battled your way through it and somehow managed to get it done, you’re starting from scratch again after a year if it isn’t part of your daily experience. But with the help of AI, even I can handle it these days

Re: Blockly update possible?
Posted: Friday 10 July 2026 11:24
by pfloryann
Agree, I tested it but it has some limitations.
I'll give an example: we need an automation that will act when a text sensor has a certain value (not just on or off) and when a certain variable has a certain value. I couldn't do this in the wizard or maybe I didn't know how. And in certain situations you need the conditions "or" & "and" for multiple conditions. Finally getting to the code.
Re: Blockly update possible?
Posted: Friday 10 July 2026 12:26
by imautohuttraeger
pfloryann wrote: Friday 10 July 2026 11:24
Agree, I tested it but it has some limitations.
I'll give an example: we need an automation that will act when a text sensor has a certain value (not just on or off) and when a certain variable has a certain value. I couldn't do this in the wizard or maybe I didn't know how. And in certain situations you need the conditions "or" & "and" for multiple conditions. Finally getting to the code.
Yes. You can take the wizard for a basic code and then ask AI to finalise it. If you properly describe what you want, ther result is often really surprisingly perfect and even with very helpful comments.
Re: Blockly update possible?
Posted: Friday 10 July 2026 12:48
by pfloryann
imautohuttraeger wrote: Friday 10 July 2026 12:26
pfloryann wrote: Friday 10 July 2026 11:24
Agree, I tested it but it has some limitations.
I'll give an example: we need an automation that will act when a text sensor has a certain value (not just on or off) and when a certain variable has a certain value. I couldn't do this in the wizard or maybe I didn't know how. And in certain situations you need the conditions "or" & "and" for multiple conditions. Finally getting to the code.
Yes. You can take the wizard for a basic code and then ask AI to finalise it. If you properly describe what you want, ther result is often really surprisingly perfect and even with very helpful comments.
I know, it was just an example. The idea from my point of view is to make it as easy to use as possible for a basic user because I've been reading on forums lately, it seems that there are many users migrating to another automation system, and the reasons are already listed in certain topics on the domoticz forum.
Re: Blockly update possible?
Posted: Friday 10 July 2026 14:28
by waltervl
The main reason to change to another system is not the DzVents implementation as that is one of the main differences with other systems. It is a reason that a lot of users still stay on Domoticz.
In Domoticz if Blockly is not working for your usecase you have to go to dzvents which in my opinion is fine.
The Dzvents automation wizard is created as a step to ease that switch to DzVents.
Re: Blockly update possible?
Posted: Friday 10 July 2026 16:06
by pfloryann
@waltervl I don't want you to misunderstand, I'm not criticizing, I didn't say that because of dzvents which is a very good tool, I specified that there are several reasons that can be found in other topics, I just wanted to emphasize that users are looking to be able to do automations and other things more easily, in addition to the other known reasons, this is about the subject of this topic.
Personally, I like domoticz, I've been using it for 8-9 years, I have a base server, a test server and another one with that famous automation system used for various tests.
Re: Blockly update possible?
Posted: Friday 10 July 2026 18:18
by gizmocuz
We have a simple automation wizard that generates the script for you. how more easy do you want it?
Re: Blockly update possible?
Posted: Friday 10 July 2026 19:37
by pfloryann
I think I explained above, the idea is the same as what the creator of this topic said, more precisely the development of blockly and I agreed with him and it was a constructive suggestion (I say).
Regarding the wizard, I responded exactly to the statement about the wizard in which I also gave an example of automation that cannot be achieved with it, except through code, that's why I considered that maybe the development of blockly would be a solution with more options in blockly like: count, repeat, play, if x.senzor=on for x minutes etc.
When I meant to make it as easy as possible to create an automation, I meant that a more complex automation could be achieved without code. Thank you!
Re: Blockly update possible?
Posted: Saturday 11 July 2026 1:23
by waltervl
There is a change coming in beta that the wizard supports selector switches and alert devices. Also it is now possible to set a condition to check for selector switch states and user variable values.
Re: Blockly update possible?
Posted: Friday 14 August 2026 9:37
by njlammerts
I noticed that that CPU % increased when using DzVents in stead of Blockly.
CPU load of my RPI was between 0.7 and 1.6% during normal use and with some basic switching functions in Blockly (switch on when temp=X and switch of when temp >X and time is between 12:00-18:30 on weekdays) .
When I made this kind of script in DzVents, the CPU load went up to 4.6-5.7% (DzVents was made with help of ChatGPT)

- Schermafbeelding 2026-08-14 om 13.07.40.png (331.99 KiB) Viewed 489 times
Re: Blockly update possible?
Posted: Friday 14 August 2026 14:13
by waltervl
It would help of you post the dzvents script (in a new thread in the dzvents subforum) because it looks like chatgpt did something wrong.
Re: Blockly update possible?
Posted: Wednesday 23 September 2026 11:07
by hyeronimo
Sorry, I lost track of my own topic here, holiday and I forgot top check notify me.. What I meant was indeed something like more advanced logic/control blocks and Better variables and functions. If you look at the blockly ui it has all that. I was hoping Blockly could use inputs from domoticz and only call domoticz again when an action (like on /off or changing setpoint) is reached.
