Page 1 of 1

Camera advise (newbe question)

Posted: Wednesday 03 June 2026 10:32
by gerpol
I'm currently using a security camera that makes use of the Tuya platform.
I would like to replace it with a new one that does not make use of any external servers.
I'm quite a newbe in this area, any advise on types/protocols/brands?
As an example, I flashed my Tuya switches with Tasmota, do camera's also work with Tasmota?

Thanks,
Gerrit.

Re: Camera advise (newbe question)

Posted: Wednesday 03 June 2026 13:00
by hyeronimo
Hi Gerrit,

you might want to have a look at thingino.com, a project to replace the cloud firmware of several camera types with open source firmware that can be managed locally. I don't know if all of them integrate in domoticz, which needs a jpg image stream I think.

Re: Camera advise (newbe question)

Posted: Wednesday 03 June 2026 17:19
by waltervl
There are lots of cameras that do not need subscription or cloud access. Google for it. See for example https://www.howtogeek.com/smart-securit ... d-storage/

For integration with domoticz the camera needs to supply a snapshot ImageURL = URL for making a snapshot image, not a video stream.
See also https://wiki.domoticz.com/Camera_Setup

Re: Camera advise (newbe question)

Posted: Thursday 04 June 2026 21:30
by gerpol
waltervl wrote: Wednesday 03 June 2026 17:19 There are lots of cameras that do not need subscription or cloud access. Google for it. See for example https://www.howtogeek.com/smart-securit ... d-storage/

For integration with domoticz the camera needs to supply a snapshot ImageURL = URL for making a snapshot image, not a video stream.
See also https://wiki.domoticz.com/Camera_Setup
thanks, very valuable.
hyeronimo wrote: Wednesday 03 June 2026 13:00 Hi Gerrit,

you might want to have a look at thingino.com, a project to replace the cloud firmware of several camera types with open source firmware that can be managed locally. I don't know if all of them integrate in domoticz, which needs a jpg image stream I think.
Sounds great, not sure if my current camera is suitable, it's wifi name is dgiot, so I assume it uses https://dgiot.github.io, but no idea whether that will help me to reflash.

Re: Camera advise (newbe question)

Posted: Friday 05 June 2026 15:13
by lost
gerpol wrote: Thursday 04 June 2026 21:30 thanks, very valuable.
Note that in this list, Amcrest is a subset of Dahua. Base brand may propose much more references depending on your needs and many can be found on AE with nice pricing.

I have replaced over years all IP cams from other brands I had for Dahua because they can easily be compelled to your LAN (blocked all in/out WAN access in your router FW, toggles for remote stuff that'll need manufacturer cloud and protocols/API handling, setting a dummy GW IP etc...) without unexpected issues showing up + you can find their HTTP API documentation on the net if you have specific needs (in addition to very basic video support in Domoticz, that is not supposed to be a NVR) & ablilty to write some specific code that'll fit your needs.

They also can be configured from their internal web server using a standard web browser (no smartphone only config from an application that may lack support in a few years/mobile OS versions)... and, let's not forget the basics, propose many image shooting configurations to fit location/seasonal constraints (WDR, setting ranges for speed/gain combos to better fit some difficult exposures and get best possible blur/noise compromise, especially at night ; possibility to completely disable IR light if not needed or use remote ones that'll not attract insects close to the lense for outside use & will lead to many false captures etc etc...). Internal motion capture configuration is quite rich even for basic ones in the 50/60€ range (some have IA based features), day/night separate configurations (auto switch based on lux or may be done through API based on current sunset/dawn times) as image tuning needs are completely different. They have FTP and all current references should also provide SFTP (even SSH can be activated, but with a very limited shell/command set). Some have better low light performance, usually branded as "Starlight", but always better to check compare sensitivity (sensor used + usually better on a 4MP device than a 8MP ; in the past some 2MP devices were so good at this you could easily switch off IR & work from nearby street lights, but looks such sensors do not exist anymore).

Re: Camera advise (newbe question)

Posted: Monday 15 June 2026 22:22
by gerpol
I’ve now purchased a PICOO DUAL D1, but unfortunately the web interface does not work. Port 80 is open, but it doesn’t return anything useful.
RTSP on port 554 works fine with VLC, so I can view the video stream, but I can’t control the camera through it.
I can control the camera using the DMSS app, but that’s not what I intended, since it relies on cloud services, which I want to avoid.

Re: Camera advise (newbe question)

Posted: Tuesday 16 June 2026 8:22
by lost
That's often (and more and more) the case for such consumer grade products. That's why I adviced to go with brands on the professional market: Dahua compares with Axis without the heavy pricing...

Take care they also sell consumer grade products tagged IMOU: Same crap as yours, there's a https port open (as well as rtsp for local video monitoring) but not serving configuration pages and looked only used by their cloud-API to be only configurable using their dumbphone application (through a cloud account): Fortunately this one was not purchased directly in China from AE but locally from Amazon so I was able to send this shit back to seller.

You can also find copies if their HTTP API on the web, like here for a quite recent one:
https://files.best-web.sk/share/dahua_http_api_v326

As you can see, possibilities are huge with good devices starting in the 50/60€ price range. So really no time to loose to reverse-engineer closed and remote APIs.

Re: Camera advise (newbe question)

Posted: Tuesday 16 June 2026 11:25
by gerpol
I'm a bit confused now, as the PICOO DUAL D1 is from Dahua (https://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/ ... /P5D-5F-PV) I bought it on your advise. If I go to their website, the manuals tells me about the web interface option, but in the end the product does not support it.
Luckily I also bought it locally, so I can send it back, but what to choose next?

Re: Camera advise (newbe question)

Posted: Tuesday 16 June 2026 11:32
by waltervl
If the camera does not work according its manual you have to ask the supplier what is wrong. Perhaps you missed an installation step?

Re: Camera advise (newbe question)

Posted: Tuesday 16 June 2026 12:10
by gerpol
waltervl wrote: Tuesday 16 June 2026 11:32 If the camera does not work according its manual you have to ask the supplier what is wrong. Perhaps you missed an installation step?
of course, I'm waiting for their answer.

Re: Camera advise (newbe question)

Posted: Tuesday 16 June 2026 21:11
by gerpol
The manufacturer replied, answering the camera indeed does not support a web-interface. So I can conclude that the information on their website is wrong. Surprisingly ONVIF worked, I tried with Cayenue which worked in a way. But without web-interface I can not control parameters without the app, so I will send it back.
After some further exploration I found TP-Link might be a better alternative, I will keep you updated.

Re: Camera advise (newbe question)

Posted: Wednesday 17 June 2026 17:12
by habahabahaba
You can try ODM - https://sourceforge.net/projects/onvifdm/
Software to control devices through ONVIF

Re: Camera advise (newbe question)

Posted: Wednesday 17 June 2026 22:06
by lost
gerpol wrote: Tuesday 16 June 2026 11:25 I'm a bit confused now, as the PICOO DUAL D1 is from Dahua...
Strange, but on your link I don't find info about what's supposed to be supported (only smartphone through their app).
For a device I have, very good at night sensivity but no more sold, datasheet is quite clear in protocols section:
https://www.tssgroup.sk/buxus/docs/data ... asheet.pdf

Sorry if there is now also to be careful with this brand... was no aware.

Re: Camera advise (newbe question)

Posted: Wednesday 17 June 2026 22:40
by gerpol
habahabahaba wrote: Wednesday 17 June 2026 17:12 You can try ODM - https://sourceforge.net/projects/onvifdm/
Software to control devices through ONVIF
only Windows as far as I can see, I need macOS or Raspberry Pi.

Re: Camera advise (newbe question)

Posted: Wednesday 17 June 2026 22:45
by gerpol
lost wrote: Wednesday 17 June 2026 22:06
gerpol wrote: Tuesday 16 June 2026 11:25 I'm a bit confused now, as the PICOO DUAL D1 is from Dahua...
Strange, but on your link I don't find info about what's supposed to be supported (only smartphone through their app).
If you go to downloads and then quick start guide, it is explaining the web interface.

For a device I have, very good at night sensivity but no more sold, datasheet is quite clear in protocols section:
https://www.tssgroup.sk/buxus/docs/data ... asheet.pdf

Sorry if there is now also to be careful with this brand... was no aware.
:?