UI idea: popup from python framework
Posted: Saturday 14 March 2026 13:55
Hey,
As there seems to be work ongoing to improve the UI, here's something that would make the plugin framework way more powerfull: the ability to create popup windows. Several use cases come to mind:
- direct feedback on errors
- extended configuration options (and this would really help me).
Example for the configuration: I'm maintaining a plugin for Sessy home batteries. Users will have as minimum a P1 meter and 1 battery. The installation can be extended to 6 bateries per set. Each of these entities needs to be specified by:
- IP adress (can be done by mDNS discovery)
- user name
- password
I now created a json file where users enter these details. This is a poor solution as it requires users to store a password in plain text. IDeally, I would like to make a flow where the plugin discovers all the entities and then, per entity, asks the user to provide user name, password and a user friendly name. Then I can store the password encrypte as a Config item in the database. Below an image of what it looks like in HomeAssistant:
This would allow more use cases as often there is a 2 step way to authenticate with all kinds of cloud services that we want to connect Domoticz to.
In HA they also have a way to call this one up to reconfigure. I realise that this is a bit difficult in current Domoticz architecture. And this would be another major improvement idea: the ability to deal on the UI with real devices and not just the units. But I will create a separate thread for that not to mix uo the discussion.
Looking forward for feedback
As there seems to be work ongoing to improve the UI, here's something that would make the plugin framework way more powerfull: the ability to create popup windows. Several use cases come to mind:
- direct feedback on errors
- extended configuration options (and this would really help me).
Example for the configuration: I'm maintaining a plugin for Sessy home batteries. Users will have as minimum a P1 meter and 1 battery. The installation can be extended to 6 bateries per set. Each of these entities needs to be specified by:
- IP adress (can be done by mDNS discovery)
- user name
- password
I now created a json file where users enter these details. This is a poor solution as it requires users to store a password in plain text. IDeally, I would like to make a flow where the plugin discovers all the entities and then, per entity, asks the user to provide user name, password and a user friendly name. Then I can store the password encrypte as a Config item in the database. Below an image of what it looks like in HomeAssistant:
This would allow more use cases as often there is a 2 step way to authenticate with all kinds of cloud services that we want to connect Domoticz to.
In HA they also have a way to call this one up to reconfigure. I realise that this is a bit difficult in current Domoticz architecture. And this would be another major improvement idea: the ability to deal on the UI with real devices and not just the units. But I will create a separate thread for that not to mix uo the discussion.
Looking forward for feedback