Domoticz monitoring in camper van outside EU : data management and esim profile ?

Moderator: leecollings

Post Reply
User avatar
Keyla
Posts: 6
Joined: Saturday 26 September 2026 10:45
Target OS: Raspberry Pi / ODroid
Domoticz version:
Contact:

Domoticz monitoring in camper van outside EU : data management and esim profile ?

Post by Keyla »

Hello everyone. I come back to you after my introduction post because we make good progress on our travel plans outside the EU. We use Domoticz on our Raspberry Pi to gather data on our batteries, inside temperature, and basic security alerts. Everything works fine locally, but for this trip abroad, I look for the simplest way to keep monitoring and receiving server alerts on our phones without paying crazy roaming fees.
A friend who travels a lot advises us to switch our smartphones to a secondary digital line to keep data connectivity for our tracking apps and server updates. I start looking at available data packages and I look for a comparatif esimcomparator pas cher to select suitable data plans for our route.
On the practical side, I wonder if this kind of connection remains stable when driving through more isolated areas and if network switching affects requests sent to Domoticz. Do some of you use this kind of setup while traveling, or do you prefer using a dedicated 4G/5G router with a physical local sim card ?
User avatar
Keyla
Posts: 6
Joined: Saturday 26 September 2026 10:45
Target OS: Raspberry Pi / ODroid
Domoticz version:
Contact:

Re: Domoticz monitoring in camper van outside EU : data management and esim profile ?

Post by Keyla »

I try asking an AI assistant to get some answers, but the feedback stays very theoretical and vague regarding real data packet behavior while moving. I prefer asking real people here who have hands-on experience in the field.
Thanks in advance for your help and feedback.
Tukker
Posts: 674
Joined: Sunday 01 November 2015 22:45
Target OS: Raspberry Pi / ODroid
Domoticz version: 2023.2
Location: Twente
Contact:

Re: Domoticz monitoring in camper van outside EU : data management and esim profile ?

Post by Tukker »

My first thoughts are about why you're so keen on being connected and receiving alerts while you're abroad.
Close the door behind you and enjoy freedom, freedom in your mind in the first place.

Practical solution: install pivpv for a safe connection from everywhere.
The combination PiHole (install that first) and PiVPN gives you a secure internet connection on every network plus a safe entry into your home network and your RPI.
Using the obsolete Domoticz app you can receive all alerts.
Other option is to do some dzVents Magic and receive alerts using Telegram or setup mail and have your RPI send mails.
Bugs bug me.
User avatar
waltervl
Posts: 7014
Joined: Monday 28 January 2019 18:48
Target OS: Linux
Domoticz version: 2026.3
Location: NL
Contact:

Re: Domoticz monitoring in camper van outside EU : data management and esim profile ?

Post by waltervl »

I use telegram to stay connected to my home. I get notifications and steer my devices. I use the python version but there is also a lua/ docker version.

You only have to setup a telegram bot, install the scripts and you are connected worldwide.

See wiki https://wiki.domoticz.com/Remote_Contro ... legram_Bot
Domoticz running on Udoo X86 (on Ubuntu)
Devices/plugins: ZigbeeforDomoticz (with Xiaomi, Ikea, Tuya devices), Nefit Easy, Midea Airco, Omnik Solar, Goodwe Solar
User avatar
Keyla
Posts: 6
Joined: Saturday 26 September 2026 10:45
Target OS: Raspberry Pi / ODroid
Domoticz version:
Contact:

Re: Domoticz monitoring in camper van outside EU : data management and esim profile ?

Post by Keyla »

Thanks Tukker for your reply. I get your point about closing the door and enjoying freedom, and I agree. It is just that monitoring battery levels and temperatures gives us peace of mind when leaving the van.
I will look into the PiVPN + PiHole setup, that seems very clean. Thanks as well for pointing out the alert options.
User avatar
Keyla
Posts: 6
Joined: Saturday 26 September 2026 10:45
Target OS: Raspberry Pi / ODroid
Domoticz version:
Contact:

Re: Domoticz monitoring in camper van outside EU : data management and esim profile ?

Post by Keyla »

I use telegram to stay connected to my home. I get notifications and steer my devices. I use the python version but there is also a lua/ docker version.

You only have to setup a telegram bot, install the scripts and you are connected worldwide.

See wiki https://wiki.domoticz.com/Remote_Contro ... legram_Bot
Thanks waltervl, that sounds great! Using a Telegram bot seems like a really smart and lightweight way to get notifications without heavy data usage.
I will check the wiki page you shared. Does Telegram handle brief connection losses smoothly when moving between different network coverage areas, or do you have to manage offline queues in your Python scripts ?
lost
Posts: 716
Joined: Thursday 10 November 2016 9:30
Target OS: Raspberry Pi / ODroid
Domoticz version:
Contact:

Re: Domoticz monitoring in camper van outside EU : data management and esim profile ?

Post by lost »

Keyla wrote: Saturday 03 October 2026 22:49 On the practical side, I wonder if this kind of connection remains stable when driving through more isolated areas...
For such kind of monitoring, if typical use-case is a few km away, you may consider mobile network free alternatives like Lora (Mesh or P2P). not as easy as a smartphone as you would need specific radio in the van and another handheld device (some exists, but just a smartphone peripheral able to interface a Lora radio through BT or USB, not sure)... No mobile network needed thus no fee as well, but would be pure DIY even if SW building bricks exists.
Post Reply