Camera advise (newbe question)
Moderator: leecollings
-
gerpol
- Posts: 9
- Joined: Wednesday 03 June 2026 10:17
- Target OS: Raspberry Pi / ODroid
- Domoticz version: 2024.1
- Contact:
Camera advise (newbe question)
I'm currently using a security camera that makes use of the Tuya platform.
I would like to replace it with a new one that does not make use of any external servers.
I'm quite a newbe in this area, any advise on types/protocols/brands?
As an example, I flashed my Tuya switches with Tasmota, do camera's also work with Tasmota?
Thanks,
Gerrit.
I would like to replace it with a new one that does not make use of any external servers.
I'm quite a newbe in this area, any advise on types/protocols/brands?
As an example, I flashed my Tuya switches with Tasmota, do camera's also work with Tasmota?
Thanks,
Gerrit.
-
hyeronimo
- Posts: 75
- Joined: Saturday 11 March 2023 8:33
- Target OS: Raspberry Pi / ODroid
- Domoticz version:
- Contact:
Re: Camera advise (newbe question)
Hi Gerrit,
you might want to have a look at thingino.com, a project to replace the cloud firmware of several camera types with open source firmware that can be managed locally. I don't know if all of them integrate in domoticz, which needs a jpg image stream I think.
you might want to have a look at thingino.com, a project to replace the cloud firmware of several camera types with open source firmware that can be managed locally. I don't know if all of them integrate in domoticz, which needs a jpg image stream I think.
- waltervl
- Posts: 7011
- Joined: Monday 28 January 2019 18:48
- Target OS: Linux
- Domoticz version: 2026.3
- Location: NL
- Contact:
Re: Camera advise (newbe question)
There are lots of cameras that do not need subscription or cloud access. Google for it. See for example https://www.howtogeek.com/smart-securit ... d-storage/
For integration with domoticz the camera needs to supply a snapshot ImageURL = URL for making a snapshot image, not a video stream.
See also https://wiki.domoticz.com/Camera_Setup
For integration with domoticz the camera needs to supply a snapshot ImageURL = URL for making a snapshot image, not a video stream.
See also https://wiki.domoticz.com/Camera_Setup
Domoticz running on Udoo X86 (on Ubuntu)
Devices/plugins: ZigbeeforDomoticz (with Xiaomi, Ikea, Tuya devices), Nefit Easy, Midea Airco, Omnik Solar, Goodwe Solar
Devices/plugins: ZigbeeforDomoticz (with Xiaomi, Ikea, Tuya devices), Nefit Easy, Midea Airco, Omnik Solar, Goodwe Solar
-
gerpol
- Posts: 9
- Joined: Wednesday 03 June 2026 10:17
- Target OS: Raspberry Pi / ODroid
- Domoticz version: 2024.1
- Contact:
Re: Camera advise (newbe question)
thanks, very valuable.waltervl wrote: Wednesday 03 June 2026 17:19 There are lots of cameras that do not need subscription or cloud access. Google for it. See for example https://www.howtogeek.com/smart-securit ... d-storage/
For integration with domoticz the camera needs to supply a snapshot ImageURL = URL for making a snapshot image, not a video stream.
See also https://wiki.domoticz.com/Camera_Setup
Sounds great, not sure if my current camera is suitable, it's wifi name is dgiot, so I assume it uses https://dgiot.github.io, but no idea whether that will help me to reflash.hyeronimo wrote: Wednesday 03 June 2026 13:00 Hi Gerrit,
you might want to have a look at thingino.com, a project to replace the cloud firmware of several camera types with open source firmware that can be managed locally. I don't know if all of them integrate in domoticz, which needs a jpg image stream I think.
-
lost
- Posts: 715
- Joined: Thursday 10 November 2016 9:30
- Target OS: Raspberry Pi / ODroid
- Domoticz version:
- Contact:
Re: Camera advise (newbe question)
Note that in this list, Amcrest is a subset of Dahua. Base brand may propose much more references depending on your needs and many can be found on AE with nice pricing.
I have replaced over years all IP cams from other brands I had for Dahua because they can easily be compelled to your LAN (blocked all in/out WAN access in your router FW, toggles for remote stuff that'll need manufacturer cloud and protocols/API handling, setting a dummy GW IP etc...) without unexpected issues showing up + you can find their HTTP API documentation on the net if you have specific needs (in addition to very basic video support in Domoticz, that is not supposed to be a NVR) & ablilty to write some specific code that'll fit your needs.
They also can be configured from their internal web server using a standard web browser (no smartphone only config from an application that may lack support in a few years/mobile OS versions)... and, let's not forget the basics, propose many image shooting configurations to fit location/seasonal constraints (WDR, setting ranges for speed/gain combos to better fit some difficult exposures and get best possible blur/noise compromise, especially at night ; possibility to completely disable IR light if not needed or use remote ones that'll not attract insects close to the lense for outside use & will lead to many false captures etc etc...). Internal motion capture configuration is quite rich even for basic ones in the 50/60€ range (some have IA based features), day/night separate configurations (auto switch based on lux or may be done through API based on current sunset/dawn times) as image tuning needs are completely different. They have FTP and all current references should also provide SFTP (even SSH can be activated, but with a very limited shell/command set). Some have better low light performance, usually branded as "Starlight", but always better to check compare sensitivity (sensor used + usually better on a 4MP device than a 8MP ; in the past some 2MP devices were so good at this you could easily switch off IR & work from nearby street lights, but looks such sensors do not exist anymore).
-
gerpol
- Posts: 9
- Joined: Wednesday 03 June 2026 10:17
- Target OS: Raspberry Pi / ODroid
- Domoticz version: 2024.1
- Contact:
Re: Camera advise (newbe question)
I’ve now purchased a PICOO DUAL D1, but unfortunately the web interface does not work. Port 80 is open, but it doesn’t return anything useful.
RTSP on port 554 works fine with VLC, so I can view the video stream, but I can’t control the camera through it.
I can control the camera using the DMSS app, but that’s not what I intended, since it relies on cloud services, which I want to avoid.
RTSP on port 554 works fine with VLC, so I can view the video stream, but I can’t control the camera through it.
I can control the camera using the DMSS app, but that’s not what I intended, since it relies on cloud services, which I want to avoid.
-
lost
- Posts: 715
- Joined: Thursday 10 November 2016 9:30
- Target OS: Raspberry Pi / ODroid
- Domoticz version:
- Contact:
Re: Camera advise (newbe question)
That's often (and more and more) the case for such consumer grade products. That's why I adviced to go with brands on the professional market: Dahua compares with Axis without the heavy pricing...
Take care they also sell consumer grade products tagged IMOU: Same crap as yours, there's a https port open (as well as rtsp for local video monitoring) but not serving configuration pages and looked only used by their cloud-API to be only configurable using their dumbphone application (through a cloud account): Fortunately this one was not purchased directly in China from AE but locally from Amazon so I was able to send this shit back to seller.
You can also find copies if their HTTP API on the web, like here for a quite recent one:
https://files.best-web.sk/share/dahua_http_api_v326
As you can see, possibilities are huge with good devices starting in the 50/60€ price range. So really no time to loose to reverse-engineer closed and remote APIs.
Take care they also sell consumer grade products tagged IMOU: Same crap as yours, there's a https port open (as well as rtsp for local video monitoring) but not serving configuration pages and looked only used by their cloud-API to be only configurable using their dumbphone application (through a cloud account): Fortunately this one was not purchased directly in China from AE but locally from Amazon so I was able to send this shit back to seller.
You can also find copies if their HTTP API on the web, like here for a quite recent one:
https://files.best-web.sk/share/dahua_http_api_v326
As you can see, possibilities are huge with good devices starting in the 50/60€ price range. So really no time to loose to reverse-engineer closed and remote APIs.
-
gerpol
- Posts: 9
- Joined: Wednesday 03 June 2026 10:17
- Target OS: Raspberry Pi / ODroid
- Domoticz version: 2024.1
- Contact:
Re: Camera advise (newbe question)
I'm a bit confused now, as the PICOO DUAL D1 is from Dahua (https://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/ ... /P5D-5F-PV) I bought it on your advise. If I go to their website, the manuals tells me about the web interface option, but in the end the product does not support it.
Luckily I also bought it locally, so I can send it back, but what to choose next?
Luckily I also bought it locally, so I can send it back, but what to choose next?
- waltervl
- Posts: 7011
- Joined: Monday 28 January 2019 18:48
- Target OS: Linux
- Domoticz version: 2026.3
- Location: NL
- Contact:
Re: Camera advise (newbe question)
If the camera does not work according its manual you have to ask the supplier what is wrong. Perhaps you missed an installation step?
Domoticz running on Udoo X86 (on Ubuntu)
Devices/plugins: ZigbeeforDomoticz (with Xiaomi, Ikea, Tuya devices), Nefit Easy, Midea Airco, Omnik Solar, Goodwe Solar
Devices/plugins: ZigbeeforDomoticz (with Xiaomi, Ikea, Tuya devices), Nefit Easy, Midea Airco, Omnik Solar, Goodwe Solar
-
gerpol
- Posts: 9
- Joined: Wednesday 03 June 2026 10:17
- Target OS: Raspberry Pi / ODroid
- Domoticz version: 2024.1
- Contact:
Re: Camera advise (newbe question)
of course, I'm waiting for their answer.waltervl wrote: Tuesday 16 June 2026 11:32 If the camera does not work according its manual you have to ask the supplier what is wrong. Perhaps you missed an installation step?
-
gerpol
- Posts: 9
- Joined: Wednesday 03 June 2026 10:17
- Target OS: Raspberry Pi / ODroid
- Domoticz version: 2024.1
- Contact:
Re: Camera advise (newbe question)
The manufacturer replied, answering the camera indeed does not support a web-interface. So I can conclude that the information on their website is wrong. Surprisingly ONVIF worked, I tried with Cayenue which worked in a way. But without web-interface I can not control parameters without the app, so I will send it back.
After some further exploration I found TP-Link might be a better alternative, I will keep you updated.
After some further exploration I found TP-Link might be a better alternative, I will keep you updated.
- habahabahaba
- Posts: 283
- Joined: Saturday 18 March 2023 14:44
- Target OS: Windows
- Domoticz version: 2024.4
- Contact:
Re: Camera advise (newbe question)
You can try ODM - https://sourceforge.net/projects/onvifdm/
Software to control devices through ONVIF
Software to control devices through ONVIF
-
lost
- Posts: 715
- Joined: Thursday 10 November 2016 9:30
- Target OS: Raspberry Pi / ODroid
- Domoticz version:
- Contact:
Re: Camera advise (newbe question)
Strange, but on your link I don't find info about what's supposed to be supported (only smartphone through their app).gerpol wrote: Tuesday 16 June 2026 11:25 I'm a bit confused now, as the PICOO DUAL D1 is from Dahua...
For a device I have, very good at night sensivity but no more sold, datasheet is quite clear in protocols section:
https://www.tssgroup.sk/buxus/docs/data ... asheet.pdf
Sorry if there is now also to be careful with this brand... was no aware.
-
gerpol
- Posts: 9
- Joined: Wednesday 03 June 2026 10:17
- Target OS: Raspberry Pi / ODroid
- Domoticz version: 2024.1
- Contact:
Re: Camera advise (newbe question)
only Windows as far as I can see, I need macOS or Raspberry Pi.habahabahaba wrote: Wednesday 17 June 2026 17:12 You can try ODM - https://sourceforge.net/projects/onvifdm/
Software to control devices through ONVIF
-
gerpol
- Posts: 9
- Joined: Wednesday 03 June 2026 10:17
- Target OS: Raspberry Pi / ODroid
- Domoticz version: 2024.1
- Contact:
Re: Camera advise (newbe question)
If you go to downloads and then quick start guide, it is explaining the web interface.
For a device I have, very good at night sensivity but no more sold, datasheet is quite clear in protocols section:
https://www.tssgroup.sk/buxus/docs/data ... asheet.pdf
Sorry if there is now also to be careful with this brand... was no aware.