New install after crash No MQtt discovery

On various Hardware and OS systems: pi / windows / routers / nas, etc

Moderator: leecollings

Post Reply
Hcroij
Posts: 29
Joined: Sunday 27 November 2016 16:36
Target OS: Raspberry Pi / ODroid
Domoticz version:
Contact:

New install after crash No MQtt discovery

Post by Hcroij »

My Domoticz system ( running for years) just crashed. No saving possible.
Bought a new Raspi P4/8GB
Installed Bookworm (minimum)
Installed Domoticz (the easy way .. sudo bash -c "$(curl -sSfL https://install.domoticz.com)"
Installed Mosquitto
Mqtt broker (native to domoticz)
MQtt discover (native)
Opened port 1883 and allow anonymous (mosquitto Conf)
Domoticz version 2026

My devices are all Tasmota devices just simple switches (several older and brandnew firmware) Running for years and 100% sure I did not change anything. (Reset 1 device to factory default for testing)
MQTT explorer sees all my devices (Broker on ip 192.x.x.48 port 1883
Domoticz user with all rights is logged in.
tried "Setoption 19"with 0 , 1 and nothing

This thing is driving me crazy

Can anyone put me in the right direction. Spending more then 3 days on doubting myself, reinstalling, reading ( and crying)

Almost forgot to tell.. not 1 device is visable in "devices"(and yes "accept new hardware is on " ;) ;)

Domoticz V2026.1
Build Hash fca2725f2
Compile Date 2026-03-25 07:39:37
dzVents Version 3.1.11
Python Version 3.11.2 (main, Apr 8 2026, 01:58:00) [GCC 12.2.0]
User avatar
imautohuttraeger
Posts: 403
Joined: Saturday 14 March 2020 13:40
Target OS: Raspberry Pi / ODroid
Domoticz version: latest
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: New install after crash No MQtt discovery

Post by imautohuttraeger »

Are you sure, you only had the hardware items installed that you have mentioned? If so, I guess the automatically detected Tasmota devices had been detected quite a while ago and this could be used until your system crashed

I could be wrong, but I think Tasmota autodiscovery is not working anymore since a longer time already. And if it does, you might need "MQTTAD - mqtt autodiscovery" (or is this what you mean with "MQTT discover?) hardware or a special Tasmota plugin (which is outdated I think) from this list:

https://wiki.domoticz.com/Plugins

That is why I run my Tasmota devices by simply typing in IDX numbers of manually created Domoticz devices (Tasmota menue "Configure Domoticz").
Stop, look and listen.
Hcroij
Posts: 29
Joined: Sunday 27 November 2016 16:36
Target OS: Raspberry Pi / ODroid
Domoticz version:
Contact:

Re: New install after crash No MQtt discovery

Post by Hcroij »

Wow... your a lifesavor..

Works like a charm.

As an old man I always learnded "Don't fix a system that works"
so me to blame. I really think the thingy was up and running for more then 5 years.

Thx very much for this.
5 minute fix that cost me almost 3 days...
User avatar
imautohuttraeger
Posts: 403
Joined: Saturday 14 March 2020 13:40
Target OS: Raspberry Pi / ODroid
Domoticz version: latest
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: New install after crash No MQtt discovery

Post by imautohuttraeger »

Fantastic—I'm very happy to hear that!

I know that one could make autodetection via MQTT Mapper. I have tried that, but gave it up, because you need to create a script for every device (and understand the logic behind it).

One Tipp for the future: Make a backup of the (device) database (settings - backup / restore) every time you have made substantial changes. Then you can always restore all devices and much more.
Stop, look and listen.
Hcroij
Posts: 29
Joined: Sunday 27 November 2016 16:36
Target OS: Raspberry Pi / ODroid
Domoticz version:
Contact:

Re: New install after crash No MQtt discovery

Post by Hcroij »

Thanks for the answer.

I had a backup of the database (it stores on my Nas).
Even a complete “ready to go” image of the raspberry.

My 3 days…
I know to use an pi3 image on an newer model is for 95% useless
So bought a Raspi 3 and and put the image back. + database..
Did an Domoticz update… and then the error

That was the first thing I got was “OpenSSL error.. I had version 1.1.1 and needed version 3..
Tried to fix that problem.. whatever I tried…. Ended up with instable PI (prob Reinstalled 3 - 4 times, even compiled (takes Horus on a PI3)

In the meantime my PI 4 came in..
Attached my SSD to it and dit an new install (Wow OpenSSL v3)
Restored database..(database not compatible)…
So stumbled from one problem into the other.

So far it was on “my knowledge” … now I started reading…

With all respect for the posters and helpers here… but try to search for “MQtt discover not working”…

Then the final “Call for help” was answered by you..
Problem fixed..
Still cant believe I did not see that “Hardware thingy”.


By the way.. I am 71 years old, Maybe that explains a bit why it taken so long…
Dave21w
Posts: 431
Joined: Sunday 29 November 2015 21:55
Target OS: Raspberry Pi / ODroid
Domoticz version: Stable
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: New install after crash No MQtt discovery

Post by Dave21w »

Sounds like your doing great to me, I hope my brain is still as good as yours when I get to 71. The biggest issue is when you set something up you do lots of reading etc and then you get it sorted but as you say, "if it ain't broke don't fix it" so when you have to do it again a while later you've forgotten all the little bits you had to do to make it work the first time !
User avatar
imautohuttraeger
Posts: 403
Joined: Saturday 14 March 2020 13:40
Target OS: Raspberry Pi / ODroid
Domoticz version: latest
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: New install after crash No MQtt discovery

Post by imautohuttraeger »

Wow - sounds like a real Odyssey. I feel with you, as I have gone through things like that as well.

The Domoticz part of the Tasmota configuration actually was the reason why I tried out Domoticz.

BTW: 71 is the new 41 😃
Stop, look and listen.
Post Reply