Easiest path to add temperature sensors/monitors
Moderator: leecollings
Easiest path to add temperature sensors/monitors
Hi
Last time I added temperature sensors, I did this through a mysensors gateway and sensebender Arduino-like little gizmos (https://www.mysensors.org/hardware/micro). This stuff has been running on Domoticz on a Linux machine for years. Fast forward several years and I'd like to add more, but I think the Mysensors approach is dated and would like to add something that is more modern.
What would you suggest? I don't want to invest too much time in this. What gateway & temperature sensor option would do the job as simple as possible?
Thanks
Last time I added temperature sensors, I did this through a mysensors gateway and sensebender Arduino-like little gizmos (https://www.mysensors.org/hardware/micro). This stuff has been running on Domoticz on a Linux machine for years. Fast forward several years and I'd like to add more, but I think the Mysensors approach is dated and would like to add something that is more modern.
What would you suggest? I don't want to invest too much time in this. What gateway & temperature sensor option would do the job as simple as possible?
Thanks
-
jannl
- Posts: 870
- Joined: Thursday 02 October 2014 6:36
- Target OS: Raspberry Pi / ODroid
- Domoticz version: 2026.1.x
- Location: Geleen
- Contact:
Re: Easiest path to add temperature sensors/monitors
I would say start with zigbee (zigbee2mqtt) and buy compatible zigbee sensors.
-
scommed12
- Posts: 5
- Joined: Wednesday 25 March 2026 6:36
- Target OS: Raspberry Pi / ODroid
- Domoticz version:
- Contact:
Re: Easiest path to add temperature sensors/monitors
I’d agree Zigbee is probably the simplest path now, especially with Zigbee2MQTT being pretty mature. Setup is fairly straightforward, and there are lots of inexpensive sensors that just work without much tinkering.
- gizmocuz
- Posts: 3026
- Joined: Thursday 11 July 2013 18:59
- Target OS: Raspberry Pi / ODroid
- Domoticz version: beta
- Location: Top of the world
- Contact:
Re: Easiest path to add temperature sensors/monitors
Zigbee with Zigbee2MQTT is pretty great! Sensors are not expensive on AliExpress or Temu or other home automation stores.
The only downside is if you have sensors with a little CR 2032 battery, you need to change them every year.
If you can find sensors that fit 2 AA/AAA batteries that is even better.
If you want to be experimental you can connect/solder a larger battery (parallel) to the sensor hardware
Another way I also use on some very far places is a ESP32 with a THB sensor that publishes to MQTT (Auto Discovery protocol) and is connected to a USB charger (230V), it is inside a ugly box but it serves it's purpose.
Do get a Temp+Hum+Baro (and with Zigbee you sometimes get a Lux sensor as well)
The only downside is if you have sensors with a little CR 2032 battery, you need to change them every year.
If you can find sensors that fit 2 AA/AAA batteries that is even better.
If you want to be experimental you can connect/solder a larger battery (parallel) to the sensor hardware
Another way I also use on some very far places is a ESP32 with a THB sensor that publishes to MQTT (Auto Discovery protocol) and is connected to a USB charger (230V), it is inside a ugly box but it serves it's purpose.
Do get a Temp+Hum+Baro (and with Zigbee you sometimes get a Lux sensor as well)
Quality outlives Quantity!
- waltervl
- Posts: 7016
- Joined: Monday 28 January 2019 18:48
- Target OS: Linux
- Domoticz version: 2026.3
- Location: NL
- Contact:
Re: Easiest path to add temperature sensors/monitors
I have some battery sensors on CR2032 running for 4 years or longer. But the newer AA/AAA powered sensors are more indeed more reliable (or the hardware inside is getting better over the years)
Domoticz running on Udoo X86 (on Ubuntu)
Devices/plugins: ZigbeeforDomoticz (with Xiaomi, Ikea, Tuya devices), Nefit Easy, Midea Airco, Omnik Solar, Goodwe Solar
Devices/plugins: ZigbeeforDomoticz (with Xiaomi, Ikea, Tuya devices), Nefit Easy, Midea Airco, Omnik Solar, Goodwe Solar
-
Menno
- Posts: 46
- Joined: Wednesday 24 July 2019 13:23
- Target OS: Linux
- Domoticz version: 2026.1
- Contact:
Re: Easiest path to add temperature sensors/monitors
Maybe also already dated: I use a couple of ESP8266 microcontrollers with sensors, they run ESPEasy, which is specifically tailored for use with Domoticz. Downside is: they are not practical to run on batteries, as they are to power hungry.
More recently I have used the cheap Xiaomi temperature sensors that work over Bluetooth.
I use a script to read them. They use CR2032 batteries that last approximately a year, depending on how often your script connects to them.
More recently I have used the cheap Xiaomi temperature sensors that work over Bluetooth.
I use a script to read them. They use CR2032 batteries that last approximately a year, depending on how often your script connects to them.
-
woodyvjh
- Posts: 1
- Joined: Sunday 29 March 2026 11:48
- Target OS: Raspberry Pi / ODroid
- Domoticz version: last
- Location: prague
- Contact:
Re: Easiest path to add temperature sensors/monitors
used domoticz on rpi2 with espeasy, I lost the settings during the update, and now I am not able to set up espeasy because the links in the manual are not working. Could someone help me set up espeasy.
Thank you
Thank you
-
azonneveld
- Posts: 189
- Joined: Wednesday 02 October 2019 7:37
- Target OS: Raspberry Pi / ODroid
- Domoticz version: 2024.4
- Location: Netherlands
- Contact:
Re: Easiest path to add temperature sensors/monitors
Running on AAA batteries, including a display: https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/1005011964861654.html
Running on CR2450 ( >5 year batterylife): https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/1005009085628701.html
Running on CR2450 ( >5 year batterylife): https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/1005009085628701.html
rpi4 - zigbee2mqtt - roborock - espeasy - rfxcom - homewizard p1 - otgw - homebridge - surveillance station - egardia - goodwe (sems&modbus) - open weather map - wol - BBQ detection - rsync backup - zendure
-
azonneveld
- Posts: 189
- Joined: Wednesday 02 October 2019 7:37
- Target OS: Raspberry Pi / ODroid
- Domoticz version: 2024.4
- Location: Netherlands
- Contact:
Re: Easiest path to add temperature sensors/monitors
You had your setup running before, therefor I assume you know your way around in espeasy. The setup on an ESP has changed tough.woodyvjh wrote: Friday 29 May 2026 16:01 used domoticz on rpi2 with espeasy, I lost the settings during the update, and now I am not able to set up espeasy because the links in the manual are not working. Could someone help me set up espeasy.
Thank you
It's webbased now, works well.
install espeasy
rpi4 - zigbee2mqtt - roborock - espeasy - rfxcom - homewizard p1 - otgw - homebridge - surveillance station - egardia - goodwe (sems&modbus) - open weather map - wol - BBQ detection - rsync backup - zendure
-
RNEE
- Posts: 77
- Joined: Sunday 05 August 2018 10:13
- Target OS: Raspberry Pi / ODroid
- Domoticz version: 2026.1
- Location: NL/Eindhoven area
- Contact:
Re: Easiest path to add temperature sensors/monitors
I started long time ago and have now KAKU, Milight, Wifi and Zigbee. Each has pro and con's.
I like the Zigbee most, because it builds a strong growing network with cheap parts.
The cheap Chinese sensors, and lights, from Aliexpress as mentioned before work great and last a long time.
Currently migrating and extending (nearly) everything to Zigbee.
I like the Zigbee most, because it builds a strong growing network with cheap parts.
The cheap Chinese sensors, and lights, from Aliexpress as mentioned before work great and last a long time.
Currently migrating and extending (nearly) everything to Zigbee.
Domoticz (since 2016) on Docker on Raspberry PI 5 with 500 Gb NVMe|Milight|KaKu + RFXCOM|Goodwe|Smartstuff P1 meter|Buienradar|Afval kalender|Tuya-wifi|Zigbee + deCONZ Conbee II|Marstek Homebattery 5,12Kwh via Modbus on Pusr-dr134|MQTTMapper|Quatt v2|